The Wesleyan Academe offers Kindergarten for students who are ready to begin their elementary education. Our Kindergarten is a fast paced adventure into the world of education. Emphasizing a strong foundation in language, phonics, and quantitative skills, the Kindergarten experience is enriched through the study of classical children’s literature, Spanish, music, P.E., computer classes, class projects, and field trips.
Time of class: 8:30 am to 3:15 pm (Before/Aftercare available at an additional charge)
The Kindergarten Program is a full day program involving the development of teaching the young child the skills of an intense systematic phonics program to read through repetition and review. New learning gradually builds on old learning and practice sessions reinforce both. In this way, your child will experience success every day. School work and assessments will be sent home for your child to review. Word lists and other materials practiced at home review objectives learned at school.
During the year, the Kindergarten student participates in a wide variety of mathematic activities. Your child will lean through hand-on experiences, discussion and exploration. Houghton Mifflin, Texas Math, is the basic curriculum used, which is based on the TEKS objectives for Kindergarten. The objectives encompass:
- Number, Operation and Quantitative reasoning
- Patterns, Relationships and Algebraic Thinking
- Probability and
- Mathematical Tools
The teacher also uses additional resources to enhance the Houghton Mifflin program.
Sample Kindergarten Schedule
- 8:30 am to 8:40 am – Arrival
- 8:40 am to 9:00 am – Chapel (M-Thurs) Fri: Logic
- 9:00 am to 9:15 am – Snack
- 9:15 am to 10:30 am – Phonics, Reading
- 10:30 am to 11:00 am – MWF Spanish Tu, Th : Writing, Spelling
- 11:00 am to 12:00 pm – Math
- 12:00 pm to 12:15 pm – DEAR (Drop Everything and Read)
- 12:15 pm to 12:45 pm – Lunch
- 12:45 pm to 1:00 pm – Read
- 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm – MWF Health/PE or Tues:Music class
- R& R /Recess
- Social Studies/Science Texas Unit
- 3:00 pm to 3:15 pm – Ready for home/dismissal
The Kindergarten student does wear a uniform to school every Chapel day (Mon – Thursday) which includes a Lands End polo type shirt with the Wesleyan logo. Please see the Spirit Store for more information.
Please see our tuition page for information on our Kindergarten Program Tuition and Before/After Care pricing.